Friday, May 11, 2012

Trick Names

They will, of course, try to teach you the names of tricks.  Don't try to remember them because it's really just way too much.  They will show you tricks standing on a step, p-rail, or with those little bendable people.  I don't know if you will ever completely understand what on Earth they are talking about.  You'll become familiar with certain tricks, but if you can figure them all out you're doing a lot better than I am.  The whole frontside, backside, alley oop thing I get but most of it has me at a loss and they might as well be speaking Portugese.  This all has to do with the placement of their feet and which direction they are going. 

You will hear fakie, which means exactly what you think it means... skating backwards up to a trick.  Natural is when they do the trick with their natural or dominant foot.  So, you can figure that switch means they're using the other foot.

There are also differences between the "old school" and "new school" tricks.  Savannah and Alley Oop Unity are the same thing but only one of them means something to a rollerblader depending on the time frame. 

I can really only recognize a few tricks.  One is because it's Smiley's TTS.  I know 2 others because I have actually done them on his practice rail.  By "doing them" I mean I was not going fast enough to actually do the trick but I did sort of jump on the high rail and he pushed me down to the low end.  I can name a ridiculous amount of tricks because I have heard them or read the names in daily bread but couldn't actually recognize them.

I would suggest that you make up your own names for tricks.  I have been known to scream things like "that's a sick alley oop left side" or "sweet piss stance!"  Just another way to entertain myself while I am watching them skate.


No comments:

Post a Comment